Idli

I know, I know, it is so not world idli day today😄 but I have been meaning to post the recipe for our very own humble and delicious idli for a while now. Idli in fact is a very very staple at my 🏡. We love to have idli for breakfast mostly. Simple idli chutney with no sambar. 

I learnt how to make idli soon after I got married. Back in the day, in the year 2000, one really did not need many kitchen appliances to get the grihasti (household) going. One doesn’t need many even today , but there’s also no harm in having multiple kitchen appliances 😉 .. absolutely no harm!

Always remember one thing - Your house, your kitchen, only your rules! 👑 


Back in the day, my guide for making idli dosa has been my beloved Heavy Duty Mixer Grinder from Crompton Greaves 🤩- I would definitely call it my first culinary teacher! Learn't many a recipes from this Grinder (From kebabs to chutney-to idli-dosa)


And today I am really excited to be sharing this recipe for a good life ❤️ 

NotePlease do check out my Idli steamer under the Label - My Kitchen Essentials 👩‍🍳 Idli Steamer / Idli Maker



Ingredients:


3 cups idli rice

1 cup black gram

Salt to taste 


Method:

  1. Clean rice and black gram, thoroughly and soak it for 4-5 hours. The original recipe said separately, but I think 🤔 soaking separately is history now. You can soak these two together. It’s perfectly fine!
  2. Grind these together, again perfectly fine to grind these together. 
  3. Grind these to a thick batter. Keep adding ice cubes to the batter. This will help the grinder to remain cool, and also get the batter smooth and fluffy. Remember to add a few ice cubes at a time. Make sure the batter doesn’t turn too runny.
  4. Once the batter is ready, move it to a larger utensil, add some salt to it, mix it well, and keep overnight for 7-8 hours, it in a warm place for the batter to ferment. 
  5. Stir batter well next morning and prepare the Idli in an Idli steamer. 
  6. Serve these hot and fluffy idlis with green chutney and sambar.
p.s. Please do check out my Idli steamer under the Label - My Kitchen Essentials 👩‍🍳

Comments

Popular Posts