🎥 Ijaazat (1987)

 


🎥 Ijaazat (1987) - I remember this movie mainly because of the most loved super hit song ‘Katra Katra’ by @asha.bhosle . Growing up in India, many of us may have heard this one on the radios 📻 .. seen a glimpse of this song on #chitrahaar .. or even heard our moms/aunts hum 🎶 once in a while. I must’ve been 9 or 10 then and understanding this movie, a sensitive story of complicated interpersonal relationships must’ve been quite difficult, I’m sure! Nevertheless, I can vouch many of us have made mixed tapes, including this particular song 😉 Haan ke naa?? 
I remember My mother and her friends watching this movie on one of those lazy afternoons. I clearly remember their chat during the movie. It was way too complicated for me to understand- clearly I wasn’t interested in the movie then. Years later when I accidentally happened to watch it again, it reminded me of the conversations that took place that afternoon. The kind of physicality Rekha brought to the part was unbelievable. Her unfazed attitude towards Naseer when he mentions his live-in-sexual relationship was to another level. I mean one would assume, a school teacher from a small town, someone coming from a strict traditional background would throw tantrums to no end. On the other hand what we get to see is this strong personality who is just thankful to her husband for being honest and truthful. Women from that era were something else, for sure! Be it Tanuja or Shabana from Arth, or Sharmila Tagore from many of her movies - progressive/liberated and how!

To good ol’ days and to beautiful times- this one’s for you! To Saturdays and movie nights🍿

Comments

Popular Posts