Dal makhani with a twist

Dal makhani has never made it to my gram! Wonder why? Blame it on that masala papad which I love to have on the side. This time around, I saved some dal makhani only to file it under love your leftovers 📌
 

This post is more about masala papad than dal makhani. I remember having masala papad at restaurants before they made their appearance at kitty parties. I have hosted a few when in Pune and that was a long long time ago! Besides, watching movies, reading books, buffet lunches with the ladies, parlor appointments and treatments; rarely though, shopping, maxing out pati dev’s credit card limit etc., a bunch of us enjoyed getting together for such events as kitty parties. Masala papad never lasted on the dining table ever! A few of my friends who had kids loved to polish it off as soon as they were served. I mean who can resist a masala papad? Kitty parties where kids made a guest appearance always made me look through my childhood window. We kids must’ve been the same, barging into kitty party lunches, when our mothers hosted back in the day.


The masala papad aka papad churi (in the frame 📸 ) as well as this beautiful number from Libaas; a 1988 Hindi movie, written and directed by Gulzar, brings back so many memories. I vaguely remember the conversations around the plot of this movie. Unfortunately, it was never released. But what I fondly remember is how my mother and her friends were never found poking their noses in other people’s businesses nor snooping around trying to find the deepest darkest secrets from around during their kitty parties/ get-togethers or otherwise. All they did was enjoyed good food, shared good laughs, discussed movies and the characters from the movies.. that’s it! Remembering each and everyone fondly, as always ❤️
This one’s to masala papad memories 😍


Comments

Popular Posts