Pindi Chole (stir fried spicy garbanzo beans)


Ingredients :-

1 1/2 cups of dried Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
6 cups of water
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 cup of boiling water
4 tsp of vegetable oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 cup  thinly sliced onion
2 garlic cloves (optional)
1 tsp fresh chopped ginger
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1 2/2 tsp Garam Masla / Everest Chole Masala
2  tbsp chopped cilantro

* Preparation:
Clean the chickpeas and remove any extraneous materials. Wash chickpeas in 2-3 changes of water. Soak overnight(8-9 hours approx) in 4 cups of water.
* You can also use the canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans, since they are already cooked you can skip the pressure cooker step.

Method:
1. To cook in a pressure cooker, pour in the chickpeas, soaking water, salt, whole garam masala and pressure cook until the whistle goes off 5-6 times.
2. In a non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add cumin seeds, and saute.
4. Add the onion, garlic(if using) and ginger and cook until the onion is golden brown. Reduce heat, add tomato and cook until it is tender, 2-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Add the boiled chickpeas and stir for another minute.
6. Add the garam masala/everest chole masala, coriander powder and stir thoroughly.
7. Add water and bring it to boil.
8. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
9. Transfer to a Serving Platter .
10. Garnish with Coriander leaves.

Serve hot with Bhatura or Puri

For the Bhatura - A big very big shoutout to my darling friend Janhavi, for sharing this amazing recipe for instant puris. I’ve been meaning to try these out since the time I’d seen her reel on Instagram. I understand her excitement only now 😉
I have a nose of a bloodhound 😏 I cannot stand the aambat (sour/ pungent) smell, I just cannot and hence was a little hesitant to try these out. But it was a pleasant surprise to use Tortilla as a shortcut for making puris. I deep fried these and they did not smell one bit. To my surprise, these puris did not soak in any oil either. Turned out fluffy, crisp, and oh so perfect 🤩
Perfect instant puris for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner. On a lazy day or any other day- I think these are going to be my go-to 😋 oh boy the way these puff up - melts my heart and how ❤️

This one files under favorite twists on classic recipes 📝 @bbcgoodfood #gfletscooktogether

TGIF - do what makes you happy 💞and Thanks again Janu, for sharing this brilliant shortcut! I owe you, darling😉

Comments

Popular Posts