Masala Pomfret Fry (Spicy Pomfret/ Fish-Fry)

Disclaimer- long post πŸ“Œ

I remember watching this beautiful Bengali movie πŸŽ₯ based on mother in law daughter in law relationship. I can’t remember the name but the story simply stayed with me.
🐠It begins with a young girl getting married into a Bengali household. On the second day itself, she is asked to cook a meal for the family, some sort of fitting into the family pareeksha! The new bride cooks a mouth watering feast for the family. Everyone is seated at the dining table including the bride. The mother in law then serves the meaty fish pieces to her son and her husband, and serves remaining ones to her daughter in law and herself.
🍽 But one cannot tell the difference or the unhappiness that is seen on the bride’s face until the movie comes to confrontational scenes. This continues throughout the movie- the differences in relationship, the scenes at the dining table!?
🏑 Finally at one point, the newly wed confronts her mother in law, why she’s been behaving the way she has, and mentions about the scenes at the dining table. Why on earth has she been served less meaty portions, whereas growing up she’d had only the best fish, the meaty portions in her family. She was the most pampered in her family.
The mother in law then asks her if she remembers her (MIL) serving herself the head portion of the fish, the one with almost no meat. The DIL nods. MIL further explains - this is how I was raised. This is what I followed when I married into this house. I have seen my mother and my mother in law do the same, I followed it blindly and I hoped you would do it too! To know more further I think one should watch this movie.
What left me wondering is, how beautiful would it be for someone to not continue or pass this attitude on to the next generation only because you’ve been coming from this place! Wouldn’t it be nice if we break these silly traditions instead of following it blindly? If something that happened broke your heart and has given you heartache? Wouldn’t it be a kind and nice idea to not do the same to someone else? In this case it would be a great learning for all MILs as well as DILs to not pass on the baton of heartaches! Only because, being nasty, mean, rude, inconsiderate, etcetera is very very very very very easy. But it takes really takes efforts to be nice 😊
Thank God it’s Friday πŸ₯‚ -time to watch some good movies πŸŽ₯ eat some great food 🍽 and break some silly traditions πŸ˜‰



Comments

Popular Posts