Beetroot (Beet) Chutney
Preparation time:- 20-25 minutes
Makes 400g/14 oz
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 1/2 tbsp urad dal, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp chana dal, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 red chillies
1 green chilli, de-seeded and chopped
2 medium-sized beetroots (beets), peeled and grated
4 tbsp tamarind extract
2 tbsp grated fresh coconut
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
1. Heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the mustard seeds, dals, asafoetida, dried red chillies and green chili and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, or until the spices are fragrant and dals turn golden.
2. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. Add the remaining oil to the pan and heat through.
4. Add the beetroot and fry for about 5 minutes or until tender.
5. Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor, season with salt, add 2-3 tbsp water process to a smooth consistency.
6. This chutney should be eaten immediately!