So this one has been sitting in my drafts for a while now and Since this is just the beginning of my street food series, I thought of sharing one of my most favorites from the Chaat Corner!
|Check out The Contemporary Chaatwala in the Background- His apron announcing that he is keeping up with the changing trends :-)|
Don't get lost in Translation- Here it is Just For You in English :-)
You can follow this version too and the results would be same!
*** For The Stuffed Patties-
2 cups boiled , peeled and mashed potatoes
2 tsp cornflour
salt to taste
oil for cooking*** For The Ragda-
1 cup safed vatana (dried white peas) , soaked overnight
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
a pinch asafoetida (hing)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1 tbsp grated jaggery
1 tbsp soaked tamarind
*** For The Topping
4 tbsp khajur imli ki chutney
8 tbsp sev , readily available in the market
4 tbsp finely chopped onions
4 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
Method :-*** The Potato Patties
1. Combine the potatoes, cornflour and salt in a bowl and mix well.
2. Divide the potato mixture into 8 equal portions and roll each portion into a 75 mm. (2 ½ ") diameter circle to make round patties.
3. Cook the patties on a non-stick tava (griddle), using a little oil, till they turn brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
*** For the Ragda
1. Drain the safed vatana. Add the salt and 1and 1/2 cups of water and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
2. Before opening the lid allow the steam to escape. Keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
4. When the seeds crackle, add all the remaining ingredients along with the cooked safed vatana and ¾ cup of water, mix well while mashing the safed vatana slightly so that the gravy thickens.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes, while stirring twice in between and keep aside.
***How to proceed***
1. Just before serving, place 2 -3 patties in a plate and pour 1/4th of the hot ragda over it.
2. Top it with 1 tbsp khajur imli ki chutney, 2 tbsp of sev, 1 tbsp of onions, 1 tbsp fine chopped tomato and cilantro.
3. Serve immediately.