Kuzhi Paniharam- Savory batter dumplings cooked on a concave griddle, from Tamil Nadu!
Me thinks- Social Drama is still The Dominant genre in Tamil Cinema...and it is this social drama that somehow provides a wide variety of thrills. The audience loves to be fed with high-end drama at all times! Hence "oops! In da kitchen wid Roops, dishes out South India on her blog like you never knew it!"
Please check out for the recipe and until we high-five next, try to master the style of The Master of Style-'Superstar Rajnikanth'!
“நான் சொல்றதையும் செய்வேன் , சொள்ளததியும் செய்வேன் ...
"என் வழி ? தனி வழி !!"
You will need Appe Patra or Paniharam Chatti/ Aebleskiver pan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86bleskiver for making these "Flavourful Kuzhi Paniharam- pronounced as Kuree Paniyaram:-)"
Ingredients:- For the Batter-
200 Gms (8 oz) boiled rice
200 Gms (8 oz) raw rice
50 Gms (2 -3 oz) split black gram (urad)
Salt to taste
You can also add below ingredients to the batter once it is fermented :-
2 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp green chili, finely chopped
1 Tsp cilantro, finely chopped
1 Tsp ginger, finely grated
1 Tsp cumin seeds, roasted well
1 Tsp fresh coconut, grated
For The Batter
1. Soak the 2 rice varieties and split black gram in water for about 2 hours.
2. Drain and wash in running water twice.
3. Grind to a smooth paste, adding adequate water for a pouring consistency.
4. Now let the batter ferment for about 5-6 hours.
5. You can add the remaining ingredients and salt to the fermented batter just before you are ready to make some Kuzhi Paniharams.
*** For the Making of Kuzhi Paniharam/ Savory Dumpling From Tamil Nadu:-
1. Pour the batter in the preheated, oil-greased kuzhi paniharam kadhai/concave griddle and cook till done. (this should not take more than 4 minutes on medium flame)
2. Turn over the dumplings with the help of a skewer and cook the other side, for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Now remove the dumplings from the griddle and serve with green chutney or tomato chutney.