2 Large slices one or two day old white bread, crust removed
8 oz/225 gms paneer, provolone cheese, or firm tofu(drained weight), grated
3 Shallots, finely chopped
1 Tsp fennel seeds
1/2 Tsp cumin seeds
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves or 1/2 tsp dried mint
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 Tsp ginger paste
1/2 Cup slivered almonds, lightly crushed(optional)
1 Green chili. chopped (seeded if you like it spicy)
1/2 Tsp garam masala
1/2 Tsp chili powder(optional)
1/2 Tsp salt, or to taste
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Large egg, beaten
Sunflower or Vegetable oil, for pan-frying
1. Soak the bread slices in a bowl of water for a minute or two, then squeeze out all the water and crumble the slices between your palms. Put the bread in a large bowl and add all the remaining ingredients, except oil. Mix well to form a binding consistency.
2. Divide the mixture in half and shape each half into 4 equal size, flat cakes 1/4 inch/5 mm thick.
3. Pour oil into a skillet to a depth of 1 inch/2.5 cm and heat over medium heat.
4. Add the cakes and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until well browned.
5. Drain on paper towels and serve Hot!