Generous 3/4 cup unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1 1/4 Cups candied cherries. quartered
Scant 1 cup ground almonds(optional)
Scant 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Cup of superfine sugar
1 Tsp baking soda
3 Large eggs
Finely grated rind and juice of lemon
6 Sugar cubes, crushed(optional)
1. Preheat the oevn to 350 deg F / 180 deg C. Grease and line an 8-inch/20-cm round cake pan.
2. Stir together the cherries, almonds and 1 tbsp of flour. Sift the remaining flour into a separate bowl with the baking powder.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating hard, until evenly mixed.
4. Add the flour mixture and fold lightly and evenly into the creamy mixture with a metal spoon. Add the cherry mixture, fold evenly, then fold in the lemon rind and jucie.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle with crushed sugar cubes.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes, or until risen and golden brown and shrinking from the sides of the pan.
7. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Cut into slices and serve.