Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fish Fry!!

Be Careful what you FISH for ;-) "

We visited our friends for dinner last night. Toddler girl of theirs came running into my arms- she is such a crowd-pleaser, I tell you. So  much so- that whether she is asked or not, she will recite her nursery rhymes to you, Bollywood songs too at times:-)

As I looked at her, I recalled my mom telling me how I used to be the same, that is- when I was too young to know better. As time passed by she said, " It was impossible to get you out of your room to even say a hello."

Sometimes tho, I did come out of the room and insisted on helping her in the kitchen. Truth be told- The mess on the kitchen floor was more than the helping done!! More than often I remember telling her, "I loooovvvvveeee Fish Fry but I hate to smell like one, so I won't be helping you Mommy.'" I only offered helping my mother on one condition-I was told! I always insisted on wearing that one little chiffon white dress with pink roses all over it and a bow! Boy! wasn't that a gorgeous dress*sigh*. I also promised to sleep in the kitchen and work like a horse and obey her rules if I was allowed to wear that dress every single day at school! That didn't happen but I insisted on wearing that same dress to every single party we were invited to. Later as I grew, it was " BlackBlack and even more Black"...so much so- that I also wore a black lipstick! (I don't wear it anymore, but I do have one- just in case:-) The metamorphosis was unbelievable- tho I won't get there anytime soon-but YOU FOLKS STILL GET THE IDEA RIGHT?

Anyways on that lil' fishy note, I share My Mom's recipe for Fish FRY!!

Ingredients:-
2 Tsp of Turmeric Pwd
2 Tsp of Red Chili Pwd
2 Tsp of Cumin Pwd
2 Tsp of Ginger-Garlic Paste(optional)
1/2 Tsp of Amchur Pwd (optional)
3 Heaping tbsp of Rice Flour
2 Heaping tbsp of Rawa/Sooji Semolina)
4 Whitefish fillets (Tilapia, Catfish or Cod)
4 Tbsp of OIL
(or generous helping of oil preferred than quick burst of cooking spray I'd say)
1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice or Tamarind Pulp
Salt to taste

Method:-
1. In a shallow dish, rub the tamarind pulp/lemon juice and very little salt on the fish fillet and keep it aside (15-20 mins)
2. In a second dish, combine the turmeric, red chili, cumin powder, amchur powder with ginger-garlic paste and mix well.
3. Now in another dish, combine rawa, rice flour and salt-mix well and keep it aside.
4. Coat each fish fillet with the spicy mix and keep it aside for 10 more mins.
5. Heat some oil in a medium skillet.
6. Now, take the coated fish(coated with spicy mix) and gently coat it with the rawa, rice flour and salt mixture.
7. Discard any remaining spic mix and flour.
8. On the heated medium skillet, fry each fillet, for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
9. Drain on a paper towel.
10. Serve immediately, sprinkled with lemon juice!

0 comments: