Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Paneer Kofta Curry!!


"It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor. 
Would you be mine? 
Could you be mine? 
Won't you be my neighbor?"

I would be lying If I say " I have always had this love for cooking " ! True that I am a true foodie but I never had any kind of passion or any sort of inspiration for cooking during and between my childhood and my growing years. I remember like any other kid, I would run away many a times from my mothers cooking until 'Bharti Aunty' stepped into our society(community/neighborhood)!

Bharti aunty, Mama's very very dear friend more like an older sister to mama who fortunately also happened to be our neighbor. A very knowledgeable lady, full of resources and creativity :-) As a kiddo, I remember spending most of the time in her kitchen during my summer vacations. We kids enjoyed her cooking, all of us simply loved the way she created great taste in all her dishes ! " YUMMY "

My inspiration all these years without a doubt has been Parth, who is a bo(r)n vivant if I may say so ;-) , the kind of love he has for FOOD gives me the inspiration and motivation to get in the kitchen  instead of living on takeaways / takeouts :P  But my TRUE INSPIRATION definitely comes from Bharti aunty's  kick-ass cooking, yummylicious recipes and spectacular parties !
 
None ever missed out on any of her parties. I always loved the way she organized her parties. She usually had this to say about her guest list to mama" Vijaya, you have to be there in every single party I throw because I cannot imagine neither can I have a party without you ...and well what is a guest list without an addition of new friends combined with a couple of our own old favourites :-)

This one's to an adorable aunt  and an old favorite who lived right next door and who introduced me to all the Paneer Dishes and more ! 



Cheers to you Bharti aunty and needless to say that "I miss you dearly ..."

Ingredients For Making Koftas:-
200 gms Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
2 Boiled Potato
1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder / Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
2 tbsp Cornflour
Oil for frying

Ingredients For The Gravy:-
4 Onion pureed or chopped finely
4 Tomato pureed or chopped finely
Coriander Leaves (optional)
1/2 cup Curd
1/2 cup Cashew nut Paste /Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Seed
1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cup of fresh cream (optional)
2 tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
Salt to Taste

 Method For Making Paneer Koftas:-
1. Boil the potatoes and peel them.
2. Grate paneer and potatoes.
3. Add salt, red chili powder/kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala, cornflour and mix well.
4. Gently make round balls of this mixture.
5. Now heat oil in a pan for some deep frying.
6. Fry balls in the oil till brown in color.

Method For Making the Gravy:- 
1. Grind onion and tomatoes together.
2. Chop coriander leaves very finely (optional)
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Add cumin seed and bay leaf.
5. Add onion, tomato paste and brown it, stirring continuously.
6. When it leaves oil add curd, cashew nut paste/powder, salt, red chili powder, turmeric, garam masala.
7. Stir it continuously for a minute.
8. Then add 2 cup of water. You can also add cream instead of water.
9. Put on the lid and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
10. While serving reheat the gravy and then add koftas to it.
11. Garnish it with grated paneer and serve hot with Roti, Naan or Rice.


2 comments:

Kavita said...

You know Roops, Cashew is one of the poisons for me! So needless to say...I love cashew in every dish. :)
I loved your Paneer dishes. Can you please add Dum Aloo to your blog? I have some baby potatoes in my pantry so i will be looking forward to your recipe:)

Everyday, trying new recipe -blogging-posting needs a lot of patience...no? I appreciate your efforts here. You and your blog rocks! :)

"oops-in da kitchen wid Roops!" said...

Thanks again! Will post the recipe soon minus the cashew base:-)