1 1/2 cups of split pigeon peas (toor /tuvar daal), sorted and washed in 3-4 changes of water.
4 -4 1/2 cups of water
1 tsp turmeric pwd
2 tbsp of vegetable oil / ghee
1 medium sized tomato chopped
1-2 tbsp crush garlic cloves
1-2 tbsp minced fresh curry leaves
1-2 fresh green chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp red chilli pwd
a pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 tsp powdered jaggery (optional)
Salt to taste
Finely chopped fresh coriander for garnish
For the 'Tadka' :-
1 tsp of cumin seeds
1 tsp of ghee/vegetable oil
1. Heat ghee/vegetable oil in a pressure cooker/pan.
2. Add cumin seeds, when the seeds start to splutter add the curry leaves, hing, chopped green chillies, crushed garlic and saute for 1/2 - 1 minute.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, salt and saute for another minute.
4. Add turmeric pwd, a tsp of jaggery(if using), and the toor/tuvar daal.
5. Add water, mix well and close the pressure cooker.
6. Cook till 3 whistles. Remove from heat and allow the pressure to release slowly.
7. Transfer the cooked daal in a serving bowl.
8. For 'Tadka'- heat ghee/ oil in a frying pan. Add cumin seeds and Let it crackle.
9.Then Pour this Tadka onto the cooked Daal.
10.Garnish with Coriander leaves .
Serve Hot with Jeera Rice/Plain Boiled Rice.